A healthy pumpkin muffin sweetened completely with fruit!
- 8 oz dates, pitted
- 1 c applesauce, unsweetened
- ½ c butter/ghee
- 4 eggs
- 1 T vanilla
- 15oz can pumpkin **remove 1 Tablespoon**
- 2½ c flour (Gluten free see note)
- 1 t salt
- 1 t baking powder
- ½ t baking soda
- 1 t cinnamon
- ½ t cloves
- In a large bowl, combine flour (xanthan gum if gluten free), baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices
- Check dates for pits.
- In a food processor or blender, add dates, applesauce, butter/ghee, eggs, vanilla and pumpkin (be sure to remove the 1T!) . Process/blend until combined and date pieces are small.
- Transfer to large bowl with dry ingredients, mix until combined
- Line muffin pan with muffin cups, spoon batter into cups
- Bake at 350° for 22-28 minutes for large muffins, 18-22 minutes for mini-muffins or until golden brown on top
Gluten free: I think plain oat flour is the easiest gluten free transition
* 2½ c oat flour, lightly packed (300g)
* 1 t xanthan gum
Gluten free flour does not have the structure that regular flour has–I do not recommend making a loaf if using gluten free flour, it will be gooey in the middle (this is why I make muffins!!!)
Removing the 1T of pumpkin prevents the muffins from being too gooey and give the best balance of pumpkin to sweet ratio. I actually found this out on accident after many versions of gooey muffins when I used a half of a big can (29oz) and they turned out perfect!
- Prep Time: :15
- Cook Time: :20-:30
- Category: Sweet
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: healthy pumpkin muffin, fruit sweetened pumpkin muffins, healthy pumpkin bread