An easy, rich tomato sauce with no added sugar!
- 1 small sweet onion
- 1 T butter/ghee
- 1 t olive oil (sauté) + 2 T (add at end for flavor)
- 1 T Italian seasonings
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 T olive oil
- On medium low heat, sweat onion in butter and olive oil
- As onion softens, add garlic and Italian seasoning
- When onion is translucent, add tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste
- Simmer until tomatoes cook down (~30 minutes)
- When sauce is desired consistency and salted to taste, add remaining olive oil (or more to taste) and mix thoroughly, remove from heat
- Use in your favorite dish as desired!
- Freeze in family size portions
Want a little heat? Add a pinch of red pepper flakes!
Puree the sauce if you would like a finer consistency (no chunks of tomato)
Add fresh basil at the end when you add olive oil to make a tomato basil sauce!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30+ minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Braise
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: marinara, healthy marinara