The savory flavors of chicken marsala in a healthy soup!
- 1 sweet onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1–2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4–6 mushrooms, chopped
- 1 c baby carrots, chopped
- 1 c white cauliflower, chopped
- 1–2 c red potatoes, chopped, skin on
- 1 package chicken thighs (4–6 thighs)
- Butter/ghee (3T sauté + 2T roux)
- Olive oil (1t sauté + 1T flavor at end)
- 2T flour (Gluten Free see notes)
- ½–1 c marsala wine
- 1 qt chicken stock (or more/less for desired consistency
- Chopped greens (kale, collards, spinach), handful per person
- Spread chicken thighs on baking sheet, season with salt and pepper, roast at 425° about 20 minutes (does not need to be fully cooked), chop when done
- Optional: roast cauliflower (spread on baking sheet, season with salt and pepper, roast at 425 about 15-20 minutes until tips are caramelized)—roasting adds a richer flavor!
- Sweat onion in butter/ghee and 1t olive oil until translucent, add garlic, celery and mushrooms, season with salt and pepper
- When celery and mushrooms are softened add marsala wine, reduce until almost dry
- Add butter/ghee and flour to make roux, sprinkle flour over veggies, mix until it forms a paste
- Add chicken stock and whisk until roux is dissolved
- Add carrots, cauliflower and potatoes and chicken, bring to a simmer
- Salt and pepper to taste, soup is ready when potatoes are soft!
- Separate extra for freezing, then add greens ~1-2 minutes until wilted and olive oil for taste (I recommend letting each person add their own olive oil to taste at the end, add and mix in!)
Gluten free: must use a starchy flour for the roux, I recommend cassava flour–it is not only gluten free, but it is grain free!
Dairy free: use your favorite butter substitute or olive oil
Whole30: sorry, I can not find an appropriate substitution for marsala wine to give the same flavor–you can omit the wine, but it will not taste like chicken marsala
- Prep Time: :20
- Cook Time: 1:00+
- Category: Savory
- Method: Braise
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: chicken marsala soup, healthy soup, Italian